Monday, July 8, 2013

Watermelon

Theme: Watermelon
Honey Pot is 3 years and 2 months
Little M&M is 15 months

Paper Plate Craft

We started off our theme with a fun paper plate craft. There are many versions of these floating around on Pinterest. Ours is probably some combination of a few. We started off by cutting a plate in half. I then provided Honey Pot with the colors she needed, and let her create her watermelon freely.




Even Little M&M participated in this craft! I poured his paint out for him and let him smear it around. First he used his fingers, then he motioned for a paintbrush like his big sister was using.




They looked good enough to eat already!


Honey Pot added the seeds when they had dried completely. We used dried black beans.




Here is the final product!


Seed Counting File Folder Game

I found this nifty printable over at Kindergarten Kindergarten. Honey Pot really enjoys these games!




Frozen Melon Pops

Now this idea may seem incredibly simple. It is. But I feel the need to emphasize how amazing they are. Not only are they tasty, but they are a spectacular way to keep the kids happy and entertained while you are preparing lunch or dinner. Oh my goodness. This will be happening frequently in our house. I used a melon baller for our watermelons, stuck in a wooden spoon, and popped them into the freezer for a while. This can also be done with cantaloupe--another favorite in our house.




The kids loved their watermelon "lollipops!"



Down By The Bay Song

We also listened to this classic song by Raffi, and sang along. I meant to extend this into a rhyming activity, but we never got around to it this time. Nevertheless, it was great fun to sing! Here are the lyrics:

Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother will say
"Did you ever see a bear
Combing his hair?"
Down by the bay.

Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother will say
"Did you ever see a bee
With a sunburned knee?"
Down by the bay.

Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother will say
"Did you ever see a moose
Kissing a goose?"
Down by the bay.

Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother will say
"Did you ever see a whale
With a polka dot tail?"
Down by the bay.

Scented Watermelon Sensory Rice

This idea comes from Twodaloo, and the original recipe from Growing A Jeweled Rose. We love our sensory activities. This was one of the messier ones, so we were sure to do it outside. First I dyed the rice pink and green (in addition to food coloring, the pink one was shaken up with two packets of watermelon Kool-Aid). It took a few hours to dry. And I noticed how delicious it smelled every time I walked by! First, I arranged a small portion of the rice into a watermelon shape, and placed a few dried black beans onto it. Here is the invitation to play:


Honey Pot began by pouring all of the excess rice and beans into the pan.


She then plucked each "seed" one by one from the watermelon shape and added them to her pan too.


Then, in true sensory bin form, she dug her hands in!


Little M&M was very curious!


She made some "watermelon soup."


Little M&M loved placing a few seeds into the cups, and shaking them around until they flew out.


Noticing the mixture was a little sticky (perhaps they weren't completely dry yet, because the stickiness was gone by the time we brought this back out the next day), Honey Pot grabbed one of her sand toys to make a mold.


I was a little unsure of this combination of sensory items, as we'd only done a single item at a time in the past. But they both had tons of fun.




And of course, what is left to do but put your feet in?



Then as the rice and beans began to spread out all over the deck, and stick to their feet and legs and clothes, I decided to move the materials to their picnic table.




A fun week, and very summery indeed!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *