Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Letter: F

Theme Of The Day: The Letter F

Age: 21 months


Leap Frog Fridge Phonics and Which Is F?

I like to introduce the letter of the day with Honey Pot's Fridge Phonics so she can get a feel for what the letter looks and sounds like. So I placed the letter “F” in there for her. Then I created sets of three letters, and ask her to identify the letter “F” in each one.































F is For Fish - Magnetic Pom Poms

This handy dandy printable came from Confessions Of A Homeschooler. Honey Pot placed a few magnetic pom poms onto it, and then had her Piggy and Wolf play on it for a while.






























Pipe Cleaner Go Fish

Continuing with our fish theme, we went fishing! This idea comes from E Is For Explore. First I cut pipe cleaners in half, and twisted them into a fish shapes. Then I created a makeshift fishing rod. It’s made up of an unsharpened pencil, tape, yarn, paperclip and a magnet. (Look out, MacGyver!) I demonstrated how to dip the magnet into the “fishing pond”, and then let Honey Pot play with it as she wished. She soon got the hang of holding it and grabbing the fish. For some, she named the colors as she pulled them out.

































































Then when she had had her fill of fishing, she decided to swim all over the floor like a fish!
















Fish Handprint

I had seen many versions of this. My favorite comes from a great website devoted to these crafts called Handprint and Footprint Art. First I asked Honey Pot to choose two colors of paint. Then I painted each of her hands, and pressed them onto paper. As you can see, she took the liberty of pressing them down again before I could stop her!

















After cleaning her hands off with a wipe, I let her paint freely with her brushes on a separate piece of paper. She got some paint on her finger by mistake, and so I encouraged her to try finger-painting. She did for a minute or two, but I don’t think she likes the mess!





























































When the handprints had dried I took out her crayons and we drew bubbles and seaweed. Finally, I added eyes and mouths with a black marker. All in all it was a cute and fun craft!



















Play-dough F

We ended the day with this activity, which we do on each letter day. Honey Pot pulls out a tub of her homemade play-dough, and I help her squish a cookie cutter into it. It is a nice way to reinforce the shape of the letter in a hands-on way.